Sunday 7 October 2007

Liquid Fertiliser.

I found a great recipe for liquid compost by Peter Cundall of Gardening Australia. Three-quarters fill a large bucket or drum with seaweed and add water until it floats. Pour in half a cup of fish emulsion or carp fertiliser and stir in well. Add half a cup of seaweed concentrate and a fistful of sulphate of potash and epsom salts. Stir well - leave for up to a month. To use, almost fill a watering can with water and top up with the brew so it resembles pale tea. Use every week in vegie patch but be careful around young seedlings - always better to feed the soil if in doubt. Below is the (very dark) liquid from my worm farm. I didn't have any seaweed when I first made this brew so I put heaps of herbs and comfrey in instead along with this liquid. Now I just tip the extra liquid in each week from my worm farm.

I picked this old brewers container up on the side of the road during the Council clean-up - its perfect with the tap on the bottom. It does pong a bit when you first put it around the garden...

Must be doing some good as my veggies are really taking off...

No comments: