Saturday 2 June 2007

Norman Lindsay

Just a last word on Norman Lindsay from an interview between George Negus and Norman's grand-daughter, Helen Glad on ABC radio.

"I suspect that the gods on Olympus are still trying to get Norman to shut up and get on, and he's, 'I can't talk, I've got to finish a watercolour, I've got to do this and that.'"
"Norman Lindsay was outrageously talented, outrageously intelligent, outrageously prolific, outrageously bohemian. In fact, many regarded him, and still do, as just plain outrageous. Whether he was writing, painting, drawing, cartooning or just having a chat, he always had a story to tell".
In his own words "Everything I did was 'indecent'. I was "a monstrous fellow". I was out to "violate all popular morality and everything else". I wasn't doing anything of the sort. I cared for nothing but to express myself"."He had one of those very broad educations which allowed the mind - his mind - to escape into an imaginative world. His day was divided up into watercolours in the morning, oil in the afternoon. When that light changed, he probably was able to get in his 'Bulletin' work. This was probably after he'd finished doing the etchings. Ship models maybe at the weekends".
"Rose was definitely the personification of what he believed was the feminine-dominant - the ideal woman - and she certainly was. She knew innately what was the very best of his work. And I remember as a small child coming up here with Rose - and the back bedroom was not used, it was a sort of store area - and she'd say, "Keep a look out for Pa." And she'd pull a screwdriver out of her apron and go and take the false back off a cupboard. And out would come these wonderful watercolours that she'd kept hidden from him because he was forever giving things away".

"He believed in the creative force of females, as opposed to the destructive potential of maleness".

No comments: