Sunday 5 August 2007

Locro

Locro is a vegetable stew popular in Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador. I came across it in a recipe book of mine, 'Winter Food' by Jill Norman. I thought it was perfect for a nice change, and very healthy accompaniment to the corned silverside I had slow-cooked all day. (Nice on its own too - I saved some for my lunch tomorrow).
You need:- 50ml olive oil, 2 lge onions - sliced, 5 cloves garlic - sliced (or less), 2 kg butternut squash, peeled & cubed, 2 red chillies - seeded & sliced, 400g Tinned chopped tomatoes, 1 tspn dried oregano, seasoning, 200g Green beans - cut into short lengths, sweetcorn, kumera - peeled & cubed, any combination of frozen vegetables or other vegetables you have in the fridge.
You:- Heat oil in large frypan and fry onions until golden. Add garlic and fry for another minute. Put in squash, chillies, tomatoes, oregano & seasoning (+ any other veg). Cover, lower heat and simmer, stirring from time to time, for 20 minutes until squash is almost tender. Add a little water if necessary to prevent sticking. I added some worcestershire sauce and spicy red sauce too and it was delicious - kids also enjoyed it. Just vary to suit.

No comments: